Aquatic Explorers commenced training in 1989 as a diver training facility. In 1990 we purchased the 1st of our dive charter
vessels & expanded our training & dive operations.
In 1995 we purchased Miranda Dive, located at Cronulla in Sydney. This was one of the longest
established dive retail stores in Sydney, and had been trading for over 16 years.
In 1996 we had outgrown the premises & doubled the floor area by taking over the shop next door.
In 1998 we needed to expand again and moved premises a short distance away to Taren Point in Southern Sydney. This gave
us the largest dive store in Sydney.
In February 2001 we were fortunate to secure premises in what we believe to be the best location in all of Sydney. We have
renovated the whole premises & created the best dive centre in the best location at Cronulla Beach in Sydney.
SDI 5 Star Development Centre
- TDI/SDI Instructor Training Facility
- Technical Diver Training, Nitrox Gas Blending, 2 high capacity compressors
- Rear covered courtyard for al fresco classes, BBQ'S & functions & gearing up divers
- On site accommodation
- Accessibility. Easily reached by Cronulla railway station, bus or road with good parking facilities. 35 minutes
drive or 50 minutes by train from the centre of Sydney.
- Numerous dive sites within minutes of the store.
- All weather diving with Port Hacking & Botany Bay providing shelter in nearly all weather conditions.
- Wharf where our boat picks up only a couple of hundred metres away.
- Right in the heart of Cronulla Beach with its beautiful beaches, restaurants, entertainment, sporting facilities & shopping.
- 2 surveyed dive vessels. Our larger boat Voyager is the most stable, comfortable & user friendly boat operating in Sydney.
- A level of expertise of the proprietors & staff that is unmatched.
- 2008 Lee Grow Aquatic Explorers "Outstanding Contribution to Tourism as an Individual" from Sutherland Shire Council Tourism Awards
- 2007 Aquatic Explorers "Best Attraction" from Sutherland Shire Council Tourism Awards
- 2007 Aquatic Explorers "Best Career Training Facility" SSI (Scuba Schools International)
- 2007 Aquatic Explorers "Australias Best Dive Store" Runner Up from Dive Log
- Oceanic Dealer Awards (1998 - 2005)
- Rescue crew for Tom Cruise on Mission Impossible 2
- Television appearances for Steve in Water Rats, White collar Blue & Channel 31
- Media vessel for Sydney Olympic Games 2000
- Sponsors of Clean Up Australia campaign for local area
- Sponsors of local schools
- Participating in Business Mentor Programme with the Southern Sydney Business Enterprise Centre
Our Dive Vessels
VOYAGER one of the largest dive boats in Sydney, with a total length of 38ft and a beam of 12 ft.
The large size of Voyager and being a stable Cat Hull has allows us to have a total of 16 divers onboard, all their
gear aboard with out everyone stepping on each others toes. The boat may actually hold 27 people for other functions
like cruises or special functions that we hold in summer.
With a crusing speed of 20knots, Voyager has the advantage of having ample speed to get to dive sites, and back with out
taking all day, and this also allows us to run up to 3 dive charters a day with the same boat, with out rushing the divers.
To enhance the diving and overall convenience with diving from Voyager, we also have a large covered front cabin, a
enclosed rear area to protect divers from the elements as well as a Galley, a shower and the all important Head (Toilet).
Voyager was re-powered early 2003, with twin 225 four stroke engines, no more nasty fumes and loud out board noises
so you can enjoy your day on the water even more.
Our store location is at beautiful Cronulla Beach. The facilities at Cronulla are what you would expect at a 'World Class' tourist resort.
This a truly beautiful place kilometers of white sandy beaches only a ?stones throw? from the front door of Aquatic Explorers!
The store is located only 35 minutes by toll free road or 50 minutes by train from the centre of Sydney. The station is a 5 minutes walk from the store. Fast, limited stop trains run every 30 minutes.
The climate is Summer 8 months of the year at Cronulla Beach. Our winter is warmer than many European summers.
The area is a sporting paradise. There is all year round Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Snorkelling, Spearfishing, Fishing, Golf, Mountain Biking, Football, Bush Walking, and Horse Riding.
At Cronulla Beach there are Restaurants, Bars, Clubs, Night clubs, Bands, Movies, Theatre & one of the biggest
shopping complexes in the Southern Hemisphere is right on your doorstep.
On Site Accommodation
Our on site accommodation is directly above our store in Cronulla Beach YHA. Training for a diving career cannot be easier when you simply walk out of your room & straight into the dive centre.
The YHA is near new with excellent facilities for a comfortable stay.
The Cronulla Beach YHA hostel features:
- Clean, comfortable new rooms with fans & lockers
- Private 3 bed rooms with own bath room.
- 4 & 6 bed dorms
- Clean, bright new bathrooms
- Internet facilities
- Pool table
- Fully equipped new kitchen
- TV & video room
- 24 hour security
- Courtesy bus for pickups & tours
- Right in the heart of the beach, restaurants & entertainment
Diving in Sydney
Diving in Sydney is beautiful, diverse & challenging.
We have magnificent sponge garden reefs, ship wrecks & a sensational variety of underwater life.
The water is warm (15 degrees winter, 23 degrees summer), generally clear & unpolluted. It is unique to have such quality diving in a big city.
All our diving is near to the store. The closest site is only 3 minutes walk. Most of our local shore dives are under 10 minutes drive away.
Depths range from 5 metres to 25 metres for our nearby shore dive sites.
Because we are bounded by Botany Bay to the north & Port Hacking to the south, we have safe protected diving in all but the worst weather conditions.
Our dive boats depart from either Cronulla (3 minutes walk from the store), or nearby Botany Bay.
Depths range from shallow to over 40 metres. (even deeper for those with advanced technical training).
There are literally hundreds of boat dive sites, many of them unique to Aquatic Explorers that we have found & explored.
Visibility ranges from a few metres to over 25 metres depending on seas & other variables.
We may be biased but we say without hesitation that the best diving of all in Sydney is located at the Divers Mecca of Cronulla Beach.